REGULARLY – OUAGA FILM LAB 2018
The film development and co-production laboratory in West Africa, OUAGA FILM LAB is an initiative of collective of producers, directors, film critics and cultural consultants named GENERATION FILMS, based in Burkina with collaborators and international partners.
The 3rd edition of OUAGA FILM LAB, scheduled from 20 to 29 September 2018 in Ouagadougou, is organized in close collaboration with the EAVE (European Audiovisual Entrepreneurs), the French Institute, The Factory of Cinemas of the World and The Cinematheque Africa, South Scripture , the Windmill of Andé, and the International Documentary Film Festival of Agadir in Morocco (FIDADOC).
With the support of the Swiss Office for Cooperation in Burkina Faso, the National Film and Image Center (CNC), the International Organization of the Francophonie (OIF), the Goethe Institute of Ouagadougou and the Ministry of Burkina Faso’s culture and tourism, the SCAC of the French Embassy and the French Institute of Ouagadougou, and the regional attaché of the French Embassy in Abidjan. This regulation is established to present the laboratory, determine the criteria and general conditions of participation.
Article 1: Liability
GENERATION FILMS ensures the artistic direction, the practical organization and freely chooses the resource persons of the project.
Article 2: Dates and place
OUAGA FILM LAB will take place from 20 to 29 September 2018 in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The deadline for registration is 1 July 2018.
Article 3: Objectives
The OUAGA FILM LAB development and co-production laboratory’s main goal is to strengthen the competitiveness of directors and producers in West African countries for different major international laboratories and to facilitate their access to international residencies, local funding, international co-productions and their close collaboration with established mentors from the continent.
OUAGA FILM LAB presents a selection of cinematographic projects and offers the holders (teams of directors and producers) concerned an opportunity to develop their projects, to learn about techniques of presentation and to get in contact with potential partners, in order to facilitate the financing of their projects.
Article 4: Number of projects and candidates
For the 2nd edition, OUAGA FILM LAB intends to select a dozen projects and invite 10 teams carrying projects, or 20 people in the residential phase in Ouagadougou. These project leaders will be put in contact with mentors, consultants with whom they will work before, during and after the Lab.
Article 5 : Target Audience
OUAGA FILM LAB is dedicated to film project leaders from West Africa
- All projects must be presented by a director or producer.
- The director of the proposed project must be from one of the 15 countries of West Africa, namely Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea (Conakry), Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo. The producer must be from one of the 54 countries on the African continent.
Article 6: Formats and genres
Eligible projects must be feature films, fiction, documentaries or animated films.
Article 7: Composition and language of the application
The files must be written in French, Portuguese or English. Any candidate (director or producer) has the right to propose more than one project in up to 2 projects.
This file includes:
- A synopsis (A treatment of 10 pages maximum or 15000 characters)
- A note of intention of the director (maximum 1 page)
- A producer’s note of intent (maximum 1 page)
- The curriculum vitae (focused on the filmography) of the director and the producer,
- The presentation of the production company,
- The technical and artistic fact sheet
- A passport size photo of the director and the producer – JPG Format (300 dpi / 10 × 15 cm)
- A copy (internet link if the film or DVD) of the last film of the director or producer subtitled in French or English (short and feature films are accepted).
Article 8: Registration modalities
Registration is free and can be done online at www.ouagafilmlab.net on the page dedicated to SUBMISSION OF PROJECTS. The complete documentation must be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com
Article 9: Deadline for registration and shipping address
Registration on the platform of the site www.ouagafilmlab.net must be done before July 1, 2018 at 00:00 GMT. DVDs and other complementary documents can be sent to the GENERATION FILMS office no later than July 30, 2018 at the following address:
GENERATION FILMS – 01 BP 2515 Ouagadougou 01 – BURKINA FASO
Article 10: Preselection
Any project whose documentation is incomplete at the closing of entries will be excluded from the selection.
Article 11: Official Prizes
At the end of a residency training, meetings, presentations of projects, three (4) prizes will be awarded:
- The SOUTH WRITING Award: scholarship for a writing residency in Tunisia;
- The FIDADOC Prize: grant for a documentary project development workshop at the International Documentary Film Festival of Agadir in Morocco;
- Price THE CINEMA FACTORY OF THE FRENCH INSTITUTE: Selection of a Ouaga Film Lab project for La Fabrique 2019 or 2020.
- The IDRISSA OUÉDRAOGO Prize: grant for a writing residency at the Moulin d’Andé, in partnership with the CNC (France)
- Berlin-Brandenburg Medienboard Award: Scholarship for a 3-month writing residency in Berlin (Germany)
Article 12: Services offered
OUAGA FILM LAB covers travel expenses for the city of residence in Ouagadougou and accommodation expenses (accommodation, lunch and dinner as well as urban travel) for the director and producer of the selected project. All the promoters of the selected projects have the obligation to participate in all the activities of the laboratory for the whole duration.
Article 13: counterparties
Holders of selected projects commit to:
- a) show in the communication material of the finished film the words “With the participation of OUAGA FILM LAB”.
- b) This mention will show the logo “OUAGA FILM LAB” in the credits of the film. The OUAGA FILM LAB logo will be provided directly by Generation Films and must not, under any circumstances, be modified without its approval. All publications using the logo must receive the prior “print receipt” from Generation Films.
- c) regularly inform the OUAGA FILM LAB team of the development and life events of these projects, in particular information on changes in production status, release date, participation in a festival, distinction at a price , the national and international diffusion and especially all useful information allowing to follow the life of the projects selected by OUAGA FILM LAB.
- d) To give a free DVD to OUAGA FILM LAB of the final edition of the film for archival purposes. This DVD will not be entrusted to a third person without the prior authorization of the director or producer.
Article 14: Information and information. For any further information
Tel : 00226 25 40 91 61